St. Paul Parks and Recreation Project Updates
Two projects on the West Side are continuing improvements. The Cherokee Regional Park will continue a connecting trail addition and the Ohio Street curve will receive new lighting this spring. A presentation was made at our March West Side Voices Forum.
Saint Paul Parks and Recreation - Presented by Brett Hussong
Cherokee Regional Parks Trail Connection
- Connects regional trail (that follows bluff) to the facilities (bathroom and drinking fountains
- Received $300,000 to construct trail
- Question about adding concessions/ food trucks/ vending
- Question about who the trail will serve, will it increase equity of parks?
- There isn’t an answer, they don’t know who it will serve
- Comment that a path is helpful for ADA and elderly folks
Ohio Street Lighting System
- 12 lantern style lights going in from Isabel to Plato, planned to be installed in April. Trail will be closed for about a week to do work. New LED lights.
- Will send out warning about when the trail will close, put signs up a week in advance.
Cherokee Regional Park is a 100 acre park in the City of Saint Paul which extends along the Mississippi River bluff. The 1.3 mile Cherokee Regional Trail runs through the park providing connections to downtown Saint Paul and adjacent trails along the river. The scope of work for this trail project is to construct an internal, ADA accessible park trail to facilitate better connections between park features and the regional trail. It will also create an east-west connection between Cherokee Heights Blvd. and Chippewa Avenue. Park Map Link.
Parks and Recreation has received funding to install lighting along the trail on Ohio Street. The work will require modification of the chain-link fence along the trail before the lighting is installed. Work should be completed in Spring 2020.
The chain-link fence panels have been installed and are now ready for the installation of the lighting standards. We'll coordinate with our Public Works Lighting crews so as soon as weather permits, the lighting will be installed.