There are real, everyday impacts of climate, energy, and health policies. They impact the air we breathe, the jobs we can access, and what we pay to keep the heat on and stay in our homes.
At WSCO, we respond to day-to-day environmental and health concerns impacting our community – but we also go beyond that to demand systems change. By looking at the big picture, together, we can be the architects of the safe, healthy, and just future we deserve.
All of us– Black, Brown, and white– deserve more than protection from environmental harms. We want to create systems that promote climate justice. We want access to thriving natural spaces where people can play, heal, and build community.
No matter what we connect around– food, flowers, or advocacy for environmental justice– our connections are powerful in and of themselves.
Our Health and Environmental Justice Action Circle seeks to sustain a healthy, equitable, and environmentally just neighborhood.
Health & Environmental Justice Action Circle
Every month, join other neighbors who are passionate about health and the environment to share your ideas, learn about upcoming projects, and make a difference here on the West Side.
Community Solar Power team
We're organizing for community cooperative solar! This is a great opportunity to lower your utility bill while helping the environment. There are many ways to get involved:
- Transfer your energy source from fossil fuel to solar through a community solar cooperative (ask us how!)
- Organize with us to build solar on the schools! In partnership with MN350, the St. Paul Federation of Educators, and other community partners, we are hoping to build new community cooperative solar that West Siders can benefit from.
- Affordable housing goes solar: do you live in, or manage, an affordable housing unit? Connect with us to learn more about incentives for adding solar to your building!
- Check out a reportback from our Racial Justice and Solar Power gathering!
There are many opportunities to organize with us! To learn more, contact Ellie at [email protected].
We want to learn what the most pressing health and environmental concerns of our neighbors are, so we can plan together to take action and create positive changes. Share your voice: Fill out a survey.
We've held a wide variety of community activities, including a public forum on solar power and racial justice, advocating to local elected officials, and connecting West Siders to solar cooperatives. We crafted a summer series centering local Black, Indigenous, and People of color healers and artists. We strengthened community connections through sharing free seeds, crafts, marigolds, and veggies. Check out these projects and more, below!
- Recreation as Resistance
- The Marigold Project
- West Side FreeSA
- Bus Rapid Transit
- West Side is Outside!
- West Side Walking Wednesdays
- Beans on the Boulevard
- Racial Justice and Solar Power forum
- Good Hearts Gatherings
- Blessing of the Dogs
- Adopt a Garden