Do you care about planning a fair future for all West Siders? Interested in applying to the West Side Equitable Development Scorecard Team? Fill out the application form below!
The West Side Community Organization (WSCO) is seeking West Siders to join our Equitable Development Scorecard Team!
What you’ll do: Team members, led by WSCO’s Equitable Development Director, will evaluate potential developments (such as new housing developments, transit lines, or other kinds of urban planning projects) using a tool called the Equitable Development Scorecard, and share their evaluations with West Siders to increase community engagement and power in the local planning process.
Applications can be completed on paper or digitally at www.wsco.org/jointheteam.
Deadline to apply: July 15, 2023
If you have questions, or would like personal assistance completing this application, please email WSCO Equitable Development Director Kai Andersen at [email protected], or text SCORECARD to (651) 800-9618
It is important to us that the Scorecard Team has rich cultural representation that reflects the diversity of Saint Paul's West Side. We are committed to centering West Siders who come from marginalized experiences.
We are seeking applicants who have lived experience, education, and/or professional experience advancing racial justice.
We also are interested in working with West Siders who have interest in, knowledge of, or experience with community development.
Requirements for all applicants:
- be a resident of Saint Paul’s West Side
- be 16 years of age or older
- do community outreach (speaking with and working with other West Siders) for projects that WSCO is scoring to ensure that community voice is heard
- have a grounded understanding of how marginalized communities are impacted by the harms of racist and exclusionary practices –like disinvestment, exploitation, and extraction– that result in displacement of communities (pages 4; 14-18 of the WSCO scorecard offer definitions).
- work collaboratively with others
- open and ready to learn together
- dedicated addressing harms from historic and current land use decisions, urban planning, and public and private developments
Desired qualifications (helpful but not required)
- have knowledge of and/or experience with community engagement, equitable housing, economic development, environmental work, and/or equitable transportation planning that has a justice-centered lens (lived experience over professional experience is okay).
- Meetings will often focus on either scoring potential projects or team-building to prepare for assessment of future projects.
- Team members should plan to attend the majority of scheduled meetings during their term (2 years). Meetings last approximately two hours and are likely to be held 2x per month during the 2 year term, with additional meetings as needed for scoring projects.
- Team members will participate in our monthly West Side Voices Forums to give Scorecard updates.
Support and compensation
- Team members will be paid a stipend of $50 per meeting, and $25 per hour for some activities outside of meetings, to be specified by WSCO.
- Team members will receive education and training about land use, development, and the scorecard process.
Questions? Leave us your contact information below and we will follow up with you! You may also email WSCO Equitable Development Director Kai Andersen at [email protected], or text SCORECARD to (651) 800-9618.